Home Improvements Gone Haywire

It all started with a kid-free Saturday. The girls went for the afternoon to play at my parents’ house, so Nathan and I loaded up to hit up some flea markets in high hopes of finding a storage chest/TV stand for the new television we had been planning on purchasing for a while. We hit the jackpot. I found this 1920s buffet that was perfect right as we were about to leave our last stop for the day – the Flowood Flea Market (I’ve had luck here before).

Sorry for the poor photo, it was taken with my phone. But it’s awesome!

That night, we went and got another whopping good deal on a new television, so all was going rather smoothly. Our living room’s cable set up is kind of odd, making furniture arrangement an ongoing headache. There’s just no practical way to set it up.

In passing, I said, “I wish our cable was on the other side of the room, that would make it so much easier to arrange all of the furniture.” I didn’t really mean anything by it, just making a statement. Apparently a statement my husband took as a challenge. “I can do that,” he replies. “That’s easy.” He’s handy, let me tell you, but electrical and cable work scares me.

He immediately scaled the ladder to the attic and we heard him bumping around above our heads. He had a system worked out (I’m not even going to try to explain it). But the cable he was going to so easily shimmy down the wall to the spot where he would put a cable box was intercepted by some random support boards in the wall (that he didn’t know were there). After a million phone calls to his dad and a couple of trips to Home Depot, he decided to give it a rest until morning. But then – “Ok, I’m going to try one more thing.”

At this point, the girls are in bed and I’m washing my face in the bathroom when I hear a loud bang and what sounds like hail hitting our dining room table. I rush into the dining room to Nathan’s lovely little shoe, foot, and leg hanging through the dining room ceiling and a mass of insulation on the floor, all accompanied by quite a few expletives on his part. Once I realized he wasn’t hurt, I just couldn’t stifle the laughing. I mean, what else are you going to do?

The Scene of the Crime

He then proceeded to sulk down from the attic with an angry face. He sat in the dining room and stared at it for a few minutes, all while I was telling myself, “Don’t do it, don’t laugh, don’t laugh, don’t laugh.” Then we locked eyes and both busted out laughing. At least he has a sense of humor. He even went back up to pose for a picture…

The next day, the cable still wasn’t in place. Both of our families were heading over to celebrate Ry’s birthday and Nathan enlisted help…

So the cable was finally in place after a day and a half of it. We set up the new TV and alas, the sattelite dish doesn’t work. So DirecTV is coming out next week. That gives us plenty of time to patch the ceiling as well as a few holes in the wall. Bleh. I’ll give you an update when it’s all good as new…

In other news, that day was also filled with steak, mashed potatoes, and peas (at Ry’s request for her birthday meal), confetti, birthday cake, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and a lot of good cousin play time.

Her big birthday bash (a beach party – she is my child after all!) is coming up, so stay tuned!

Happy Wednesday!

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

1 Comment

  • Peggy September 12, 2011 at 2:41 pm

    Giggled at this. He’s so adorable.
    In other news, it’s busy at my house this week! 😉

  • Leave a Reply